How can I teach my child to use social media safely?

To keep your child safe online, lead by example when it comes to social media. Watch this video for easy-to-follow tips from psychologist Dr. Jennifer Hartstein for teaching teens how to use social media safely.   

Social media is a great way to maintain and enhance friendships by allowing children to instantly update and keep in touch with each other. But it interferes with face-to-face interaction and can lead to cyber bullying. Parents should set firm rules for not meeting friends this way, since social media can attract predators pretending to be someone they are not.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Should I monitor my teenager's online behavior?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Monitoring your teenager's online presence can prevent consequences beyond Internet dangers like por...
How can I monitor what my child does online?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
One of the ways to keep a more watchful eye on your child's online behavior is to use social media m...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?