How can I educate myself about what my kids see online?

Michele Borba

The first step to parenting cyber-kids is becoming knowledgeable about the Internet. Only then can you set the right family cyber-guidelines and be hands-on in monitoring a child’s virtual world. Here are ways to be your family’s webmaster:

• Get educated about your child’s virtual world. Take a course. Look for workshops in your community. Ask the school’s technology expert. You can’t monitor what you don’t understand and or be part of your child’s cyber-world. You must be able to log onto your child’s sites, create personal profiles to befriend her, and use the browser so you can visit and check her online world. Also stay current with positive things and negative things youth are doing online.
  • Learn net lingo. Know abbreviations and code words for texting and instant messaging so you can be involved in your child’s online world. Google “Texting Abbreviations,” “Online Language,” or “Net Language” and cheat sheets will appear.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

How can I reduce the risk for my teen using a cell phone while driving?
There are many ways to reduce teen mobile phone use when driving. Examples include talking with your...
How can I help my teen develop healthy friendships?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Relationships are key to self-confidence during the teen years. While we often think of romantic...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?