What can I do at home to help make sure my child doesn't smoke?

Michele Borba
Sit down as a family and clearly spell out a “No smoking ban” in your home. Post a sign. Sign a contract. Tell the relatives. Trash the ashtrays. A four-year study of over 3,834 teens and found that a home ban was effective. So don’t allow smoking in your home.

Investigators from the Boston University School of Public Health found that teens who live in homes with clear smoking bans are more likely to develop antismoking attitudes. They are also less likely to become smokers than those teens living in homes which did not ban smoking.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Why should I monitor my child's posts on YouTube?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Because YouTube only reviews content that's been reported, it could take time to get to an inappropr...
How can I control how my child blogs?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Teens and kids react against controls, and blogging may be a way to assert their independence. M...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?