How can my child's friends influence his desire to smoke?

Michele Borba
Friends are the most influential people in a teen’s life so watch who your kid hangs around. It’s a lot harder to say no when all your friends are puffing away. “If a teenager feels smoking is socially acceptable and widely practiced, they are much more likely not only to smoke, but also drink and possibly use marijuana,” says lead author Dr. Jennifer A. Epstein, assistant professor of public health in the Division of Health Behavior at Weill Cornell Medical College.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

What kind of cell phone should I give my child?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
For kids aged between 8 and 10 years, consider a cell phone that's designed for children, such as te...
What are the biggest driving distractions for teens?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It’s no surprise cell phones are a huge distraction that lead to car crashes, especially for inexper...
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?