How can I teach my child to ignore peer pressure and resist smoking?

Michele Borba
Studies show that many teens that smoke often lack the ability to buck peer pressure. When their buddies push them to light up, they often give in so they can be part of the crowd or to stop being harassed. While you should expect peer pressure, do help your teen learn lines to help buck that inevitable peer push to light up: “No thanks.” “I promised my Grandpa I’d never light up.” “I get a huge headache.” Or tell your kid to use you as an excuse: “My Mom can smell a cigarette a mile away and will take away my license.”  The key here is to brainstorm options, and then have your teen choose the one line that he feels will work best for him. Then practice, practice, practice.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

How can I control my daughter's exposure to over-sexualized media images?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Watch your daughter's media diet, please! Control your remote, get her a subscription to healthy...
How can I help my teen develop healthy friendships?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Relationships are key to self-confidence during the teen years. While we often think of romantic...
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?