How can I help my young child cope with moving to a new home?

When children are younger, they are basically still tied to their parents, as their anchor in the world. The house is secondary, at best. What’s best for you is best for your child. If you are happy, she will be, too.

Your attitude about moving is also important. Approach it like an adventure, and involve her in the process as much as you can. Let her make choices about anything reasonable, like paint colors, or how to set up her room. Ask her about any down sides; what does she miss about the last house? Let her talk about it. Just listen. Maybe there’s nothing; maybe there’s something. Let her know that her feelings do matter to you, regardless. You may not change anything, based on her feelings, but she will know you took her seriously.

Your best guide is to observe her behavior. A little regression following a move is normal. Sleep habits might go out the window, temporarily. She may be more clingy or temperamental. Talk to her about the feelings you suspect might be underneath the behavior. She likely will bounce back very quickly.

As children get older, your child’s school and friends are going to become important…very important. And then, you will want to think twice about moving her around, especially if it affects her school placement. I would start thinking about her elementary school situation, and where you want her to be. Consider the neighborhood in terms of kids her age and other kid-friendly features like parks. Start thinking about a longer-term living situation, where she can feel settled, and try to stay, if you can. Moving when your daughter is older is bound to cause more stress for her.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How can I get my toddler to give up the pacifier?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
If you’re really sick of it, go for it and decide to spend your precious parental effort, time a...
How can I cope with a whining toddler?
First of all, understand that it is a normal phase. Constant whining at 18-24 months is really c...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?