Why does my toddler bite people?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
If you pay close attention, you may be able to identify the cause of the biting behavior. Are there any patterns to his biting? For example, does he start biting when other kids take his stuff—or at least stuff he wants for himself? Does he bite when you know he’s  tired. If so, your first line of defense is to make sure he’s on a regular nighttime routine, that he gets a good night’s sleep, and that his other daytime activities don’t interfere with nap time. Could your baby be biting because he’s teething and in pain? Try giving him teething rings (as long as they’re not made of soft plastic, which may be a health hazard), frozen bagels, or other palliatives to sooth the pain.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How can I get my toddler to stop peeing in the bath?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Talk to your child about potty training, where pee-pee belongs, and how he accidentally peed in ...
How can I handle a young child who is masturbating?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Masturbating in young children is very normal, as is parents feeling uncomfortable with the idea. Yo...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?