Why does my toddler disobey me?

Toddlers are really in a mini-adolescence. They are struggling mightily with how to act, whom to be like ("How can I get some power around this place, anyway?"), and otherwise asserting themselves in really important, developmentally appropriate ways. When I evaluate toddlers, the ones who worry me the most are those who are quiet, passive little things who don’t cause a minute of struggle for anyone. Those children are either delayed in some form or really repressing themselves, which will cause big trouble later on. You don’t want to stamp out a toddler’s powerful, striving little spirit -- but you don’t want to give them the upper hand, either. That’s even more destructive down the road.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

What are the best methods for disciplining a toddler?
Karen Jackson, NPKaren Jackson, NP
I think you have to be pretty firm with a toddler, and I think this is a good time to start usin...
How can I help my child take his medicine?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
The answer to this question really depends on your child's temperament, the type of medication you a...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?