When should I send my child to preschool?

Parents will often ask, "When should my child go to preschool," or, "Should they go to preschool at all?" My feeling on that is we don't have to have them doing little baby Einsteins and reading at the age of 3 or 4. That's not that important for me. The more important thing is to have set routines, and to have them actually enjoy going somewhere outside the home, and develop some social skills with children their age. So I usually like the kids to go at about 3 or 4, depending on where they're at developmentally, so that kindergarten isn't just too big of a shock to their little systems. And that includes the moms too, or dads. Moms or dads can have a hard time when they just go from nothing to 5 days a week kindergarten, so it's a good adjustment to do preschool in between.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How can I get my toddler to stop peeing in the bath?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Talk to your child about potty training, where pee-pee belongs, and how he accidentally peed in ...
How can I help my child take his medicine?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
The answer to this question really depends on your child's temperament, the type of medication you a...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?