Is it okay to use suppositories for a child who refuses to poop?

While effective, suppositories can be rather harsh, from a psychological perspective. It tells the child, “I am forcing you to poop. I am in charge of your body, by forcing this inside of you….You are not in charge.” Ideally, we want to reinforce the notion that the child is in charge of his own body. Suppositories and enemas can be experienced by the child as a violation of his own fragile sense of bodily control.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How can I help my young child cope with moving to a new home?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
When children are younger, they are basically still tied to their parents, as their anchor in the wo...
How can parents cope with messy eaters?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In this video from the Discovery Health show "Baby Madness," Dr. Christina Johns offers tips to help...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?