Is it okay to use suppositories for a child who refuses to poop?

While effective, suppositories can be rather harsh, from a psychological perspective. It tells the child, “I am forcing you to poop. I am in charge of your body, by forcing this inside of you….You are not in charge.” Ideally, we want to reinforce the notion that the child is in charge of his own body. Suppositories and enemas can be experienced by the child as a violation of his own fragile sense of bodily control.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How can I handle a young child who is masturbating?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Masturbating in young children is very normal, as is parents feeling uncomfortable with the idea. Yo...
How can I cope with a whining toddler?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
First of all, understand that it is a normal phase. Constant whining at 18-24 months is really c...
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums