How do I stop my child from biting?

Michele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to stop your little biter.
Infants usually bite to relieve gum soreness. Each time you see your baby about to chomp away, immediately provide a chewy toy substitute. Toddler's might think biting is a game, so don't play along! Put your hand gently on his mouth and say firmly: "No biting!" Preschoolers may bite because they don't know how to handle frustrations. Intervene and show what to do instead: "Tell your friend you want a turn."

Focus on the injured kid: "That must hurt. What can I do to help?" You'll model how to convey sympathy and your child will quickly recognize you're not giving him attention.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin.' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

Why is my young child scared of haircuts?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Kids at this age let their imaginations get the best of them, and they do fear what those clippe...
How can I raise an honest child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you want to raise an honest child, make it easy for your kid to open up. While you should expect ...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?