Why are my children acting out now that I’m back from the service?

Children naturally tend to “act out” or test boundaries whenever there’s a change in family status. They want to understand what the new situation is, and where they stand within it. Older children may be angry with you for being away from them. Very young children may even be frightened of you at first, as if you were a stranger. All of these are normal responses, given the special circumstances that come with a return from deployment.

For your part, you may react to family life in a more “military” way than you did before. You may feel over-protective, or have a tendency to be controlling, or overly concerned with discipline. Remember that while these inclinations are normal and useful in combat, they are not very helpful at home. Discuss rules and behavior expectations with your family and let them share in decisions. Talk with your spouse and make sure the two of you present a united front to your children.

It takes time to reconnect with your family, and for your children to feel close to you again. Don’t rush the process. Spend some time on activities that you can enjoy doing together, which will give you opportunities to talk and get to know one another again. Notice the positive changes in your family, too, and comment on them. Let your children know you are proud of how they have grown and matured.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How can I build a positive mother-daughter relationship?
Mia RedrickMia Redrick
One of the ways to do this is by dating your daughter.  When you date your children, you can get to ...
How can I establish morning routines with my kids?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
You might wish to define a separate routine for each child or keep them all the same, depending ...
How do I talk to my child about their emotions?
Catherine Mogil, PsyDCatherine Mogil, PsyD
You can begin talking to your kids about their emotions by talking about four basic feelings: mad, s...
How do I get back into parenting after returning from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Your feelings about parenting and your approach to it may be affected by your time away in the milit...