What is attunement?

Catherine Mogil, PsyD
Attunement is a system of communication between the parent and child. It's a way the child expresses something. Maybe it's dissatisfaction. Maybe it's "I got my hand stuck in a chair and I can't get it out," or maybe it's a bid for the parent's attention and it's, "Mom, I want your attention right now. I need you. I want you."

The parent's role is to observe the child, read the cue, decode the cue, which sometimes is the hardest part, and then respond to it. When this happens, the child then signals back to the parent that this is exactly what was needed, or this wasn't quite what was needed and the child is still distressed. This results in a back and forth between the parent and child. Sometimes we call it a serve and return interplay between the parent and the child. It is key for a parent to pay attention to what triggers the child's emotions and then be able to respond to those emotions.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How do young children respond to a parent returning from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Very young children will likely not understand what is going on in their family when a service membe...
How can I take a bigger part in my child's life?
There’s a good chance your kids are interested in something you could find interesting as well, ...
What relationships are seminal?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The seminal relationships for each of us are with our parents. In many ways, they set the tone for a...
How can I establish morning routines with my kids?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
You might wish to define a separate routine for each child or keep them all the same, depending ...