What are some good ways to bond with my child?

As a parent, you are your children’s biggest role model. Your principles and beliefs greatly influence and shape how your child views himself. Anything you can do that gives you a chance to connect to your children and spend time with them is a positive thing. It doesn’t really matter what it is: walking, shopping, watching movies, even doing chores together (although this may not be your kid’s favorite thing to do with you). Doing activities together as a family or just one-on-one, parent and child, encourages family bonding, making your child feel secure and connected, and boosts his or her self-esteem. Something as simple as taking a walk around the block with your child will give you a chance to check in with each other and get beyond the one-word answer “Fine” to your question, “How was school today?”

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

Why are my children acting out now that I’m back from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Children naturally tend to “act out” or test boundaries whenever there’s a change in family status. ...
How can I get along better with my parents?
If you fight a lot, it helps if you and your parents can give yourselves a timeout similar to the ...
How can my attitudes, beliefs, and actions affect my child?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Attitudes and beliefs that we develop in life toward many facets, dress and sexuality included, ...
What is empty nest syndrome?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Empty Nest Syndrome is a phrase used to explain the psychological experience of loss when a chil...