How do I talk to my child about their emotions?

Catherine Mogil, PsyD
You can begin talking to your kids about their emotions by talking about four basic feelings: mad, sad, scared and happy. There are clearly a lot more feelings that exist, but these four basic feelings seem to be the most universal that most people relate to and experience in everyday life. A parent's job is really complex when it comes to emotions because these feelings occur along a continuum.

For example, happy feelings can range from content to joyful, all the way up to ecstatic. For mad, a person can be a little bit mad, annoyed or frustrated, or really, really, really mad and furious. Most kids don't have the ability at a young age to figure out the different ranges of emotions. A parent's job is to help them with this and to help them put into words how they are feeling in the moment.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship