How can I establish morning routines with my kids?

Lynne Kenney
You might wish to define a separate routine for each child or keep them all the same, depending on your style and family needs. If you have one bathroom, for example, you might stagger getting up, getting dressed and morning bath routines so that your hallway is not the site for an early morning family feud.

I notice that children understand things in groups of 3’s and 5’s, so you might begin your early morning routine with the first three things that happen in the morning: you get up, make your bed and eat breakfast - 1-2-3. It’s very simple. After the first 3 are established you can add 3 more: You get up, make your bed, eat your breakfast…and get dressed, brush your teeth and grab your backpack…and you’re done. They will begin to experience mastery and competence by knowing what they need to do and accomplishing their daily tasks.

TIP: It may help your children if you get them each a marker board and write out the morning and evening routines for each child. Then hang the boards on each child’s bedroom door. They can check their routines each morning and evening to see exactly what comes next.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

What relationships are seminal?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The seminal relationships for each of us are with our parents. In many ways, they set the tone for a...
How can I get my dad to say he loves me?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
Start by talking to your dad (or write him a letter if you think that would be easier). Tell him how...
How can I build a positive mother-daughter relationship?
Mia RedrickMia Redrick
One of the ways to do this is by dating your daughter.  When you date your children, you can get to ...
How can I reduce the stress of the family road trip with my kids?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The family road trip is as Americana as apple pie. So how can parents plan a family road trip with t...