How can I engage my child in face-to-face interaction?

Michele Borba
One-on-one communication enhances the parent-child relationship, boosts communication and allows parents to model those essential interpersonal social and emotional skills our tech-dependent kids so desperately need.

To help encourage eye contact, face-to-face interaction and tuning in to one another enforce one family rule: "Always look at the color of the talker's eye."

Take time for those crucial informal chats! Discussion topics are endless if you're needing some. A big hint: use your children's world. For instance:
  • Clip interesting articles from the newspaper.
  • Discuss the new movie reviews.
  • Debate who is going to win that big game or the election (and who really should).
  • Go online and peruse your kids' school website to chat about those upcoming activities.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship