How can I engage my child in face-to-face interaction?

Michele Borba
One-on-one communication enhances the parent-child relationship, boosts communication and allows parents to model those essential interpersonal social and emotional skills our tech-dependent kids so desperately need.

To help encourage eye contact, face-to-face interaction and tuning in to one another enforce one family rule: "Always look at the color of the talker's eye."

Take time for those crucial informal chats! Discussion topics are endless if you're needing some. A big hint: use your children's world. For instance:
  • Clip interesting articles from the newspaper.
  • Discuss the new movie reviews.
  • Debate who is going to win that big game or the election (and who really should).
  • Go online and peruse your kids' school website to chat about those upcoming activities.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How do you discipline your child without saying No?
Catherine Mogil, PsyDCatherine Mogil, PsyD
An important parenting strategy is redirecting rather than saying No, Don't, Stop, and Quit. Redirec...
What relationships are seminal?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The seminal relationships for each of us are with our parents. In many ways, they set the tone for a...
How do I get back into parenting after returning from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Your feelings about parenting and your approach to it may be affected by your time away in the milit...
How can I discuss difficult topics with my child?
Sometimes it is better to ease in to a difficult conversation with your child. Here are some ways yo...