How can I discuss difficult topics with my child?

Sometimes it is better to ease in to a difficult conversation with your child. Here are some ways you can get a conversation started:

• Read a newspaper or magazine article aloud and discuss it.
  • Watch the evening news with your child and talk about local, national, and world events.
  • Many popular family-oriented television shows delve into issues like smoking, alcohol use, and relationships. Use these programs as a springboard into discussions after the show is over. Commercials and public service announcements can also serve as conversation starters.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

It is better to ease into discussing difficult topics with your child. Here are some ways you can get a conversation started:

Read a newspaper or magazine article aloud and discuss it.

Watch the evening news with your child and talk about local, national, and world events. 

Many popular family-oriented television shows delve into issues like smoking, alcohol use, and relationships. Use these programs as a springboard into discussions after the show is over. Commercials and public service announcements can also serve as conversation starters.

Tamar Chansky

When something bad or difficult happens, it's important to know how to explain it to kids. In this video, psychologist Dr. Tamar Chansky, who specializes in anxiety, offers tips for helping a child through an upsetting time.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How can I get along better with my parents?
If you fight a lot, it helps if you and your parents can give yourselves a timeout similar to the ...
What is empty nest syndrome?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Empty Nest Syndrome is a phrase used to explain the psychological experience of loss when a chil...
What relationships are seminal?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The seminal relationships for each of us are with our parents. In many ways, they set the tone for a...
How can establishing family values help me discipline my children?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Your values are your reference for positive behavioral expectations in your family. Your family ...