How do you discipline your child without saying No?

Catherine Mogil, PsyD
An important parenting strategy is redirecting rather than saying No, Don't, Stop, and Quit. Redirecting shifts the child’s attention and gives the child a more appropriate alternative. For example, if a child is starting to color on the coffee table a parent may say, “Look at this wonderful paper I’ve brought over for you. It’s better to color on paper than the coffee table." Oftentimes, this will work, helping avoid a negative interaction with the child. There are things that parents must tell a child not to do but using redirection regularly can result in words like NO, and DON’T being reserved for only very dangerous situations leading these words to have more meaning for the child. For example, the child will know when the parents say, "Don't run in the street" they really mean it.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How can my attitudes, beliefs, and actions affect my child?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Attitudes and beliefs that we develop in life toward many facets, dress and sexuality included, ...
How can I take a bigger part in my child's life?
There’s a good chance your kids are interested in something you could find interesting as well, ...
How can I build a positive mother-daughter relationship?
Mia RedrickMia Redrick
One of the ways to do this is by dating your daughter.  When you date your children, you can get to ...
How do young children respond to a parent returning from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Very young children will likely not understand what is going on in their family when a service membe...