How can my attitudes, beliefs, and actions affect my child?

Erik Fisher
Attitudes and beliefs that we develop in life toward many facets, dress and sexuality included, are learned at very early ages. Children are not just acquiring language in their first five years, but are also acquiring the "language" of the world around them. Everything they are exposed to is information that they process and try to make sense of. Our kids are exposed to styles of dress that can be somewhat provocative all the time in the media in their home and in their community; I would like to have a safe haven for our kids somewhere where they can be kids.

Most children want to be like adults, speak like adults, dress like adults and behave like adults often way before their time. The parallel was made to language. Consider people who swear a lot -- they often don't pay attention to when they are swearing, the words just come out, and they are numb to their influence on others. Is our view of clothing, sexual innuendo, and direct sexual content in various forms of media any different? Have we become blind to our reality and how that reality is affecting our kids? I will leave you with this, Have there been times when and/or would you have limited your kid's exposure to an adult because of the language they use? Consider your answer and consider this important issue. While doing this, think about tomorrow when dealing with your kids today.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

What relationships are seminal?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The seminal relationships for each of us are with our parents. In many ways, they set the tone for a...
How do young children respond to a parent returning from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Very young children will likely not understand what is going on in their family when a service membe...
What are some good ways to bond with my child?
As a parent, you are your children’s biggest role model. Your principles and beliefs greatly influen...
How do I live in a healthy relationship with my sibling?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Siblings provide a wonderful opportunity for working on conscious relationships. You have different ...