How can I get my dad to say he loves me?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Start by talking to your dad (or write him a letter if you think that would be easier). Tell him how much it would mean to you to hear him say that he loves you. He may be genuinely surprised when he realizes that, in all those years, he never said the words. Or, if he’s still under the influence of the old mores that kept him from being as affectionate as you wish he would have been (and, I’ll bet, as he would like to have been), he may just mumble a quick “of course I love you, honey,” clear his throat, and revert to his old self.

Continue Learning about Parent-Child Relationship

How can establishing family values help me discipline my children?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Your values are your reference for positive behavioral expectations in your family. Your family ...
How can I get along better with my parents?
If you fight a lot, it helps if you and your parents can give yourselves a timeout similar to the ...
Why are my children acting out now that I’m back from the service?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Children naturally tend to “act out” or test boundaries whenever there’s a change in family status. ...
What role do families play in our lives?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Families are the ultimate relationship arena. It is here that we experience our first, deepest, most...