Why do these worms not reproduce inside their host?

Helminths, or parasitic worms, cannot multiply in humans when mature. The adult parasite usually lives inside the host's intestinal lumen (the cavity through which digested food passes where nutrients are absorbed) and passes eggs into the lumen. Some parasite eggs require a period of maturation outside the host. Once they have matured outside the host, either the eggs themselves or the larvae are infective. Other parasite eggs don't require maturation outside a host, but will not hatch in the large intestine or outside the host. When they are ingested they hatch in the small intestine of the new host.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
Do parasites have any benefit to humans?
Parasites can offer some benefits to humans. For example, early infections with parasites decrea...
What is amebiasis?
Amebiasis is a parasitic infection of the gastrointestinal tract caused by a protozoan organism call...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?