Why am I still itchy after my parasitic skin infection is gone?

Some symptoms of parasitic skin infections sometimes continue to be bothersome even after the cause of the infestation has been cleared up. The medications used to kill the parasites may do so promptly, but the body's allergic reaction to the insect or worm may last for weeks. Reasons why the itching continues after the parasites are gone may include the body's resistance, re-infestation (from people, or from clothing, bedding, or towels that were not properly washed), and poorly or incompletely applied medication or chemical treatments. Continuing to scratch and possibly break the skin may make things worse and cause a secondary infection at the affected site.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What is a penis fish?
The penis fish, or candiru, is a member of the catfish family that lives in the Amazon River. It can...
What is the rate of incidence for parasitic infections?
There are millions of parasitic infections each year with the rate of incidence and type of infectio...
What Are the Symptoms of Parasitic Infections?