What are the symptoms of a parasitic gastrointestinal infection?

Parasitic gastrointestinal infection or infestation may or may not cause symptoms. The presence or absence of symptoms depends on the specific parasite and the number of organisms involved. When symptoms do occur, they are likely to include the following: abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea, blood and mucous in the stool, weight loss, back pain, and vague feeling of generalized illness.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: Protecting Yourself From Rat Lungworm Disease
Rats have long been the vector for human disease—from the bubonic plague to leptospirosis—and in Hawaii today, they’re responsible for yet another inf...
What are the different types of parasites?
There are three types of parasites that feast on humans: Protozoa - one-celled organisms that li...
What is the bulinus snail?
Found in freshwater areas, the bulinus snail itself is not harmful, but overseas it can carry a para...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?