What do parasitic infections mean?

Parasitic infections mean that a parasite has entered the body and begun multiplying. Typically, parasites enter the body either through the mouth, via contaminated food or water, or through the skin, either by burrowing or being passed along through an insect's bite. Once a parasite begins growing or multiplying in the body, it can cause damage, and in some cases, even death.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
How do medications treat flesh-eating bacteria?
Strong antibiotics are pumped into the veins of people who have flesh-eating bacteria. Working toget...
What activities should someone with intestinal parasites avoid?
Parasitic gastrointestinal infections can cause a range of symptoms from mild to life-threatening. T...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?