What is a parasitic skin infection?

A parasitic skin infection is an itchy and uncomfortable rash or irritation usually caused by worms or insects that dig and tunnel into the skin. These parasites can spend either part of or their whole lives living there. Parasitic skin infections can be caused by helminths that spend a stage of their lives in the skin before entering the body, such as hookworms; and by insects like lice and mites. One form of infection, called swimmer's itch, is caused by parasites that are picked up while swimming in lakes, ponds, and oceans.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What activities should someone with intestinal parasites avoid?
Parasitic gastrointestinal infections can cause a range of symptoms from mild to life-threatening. T...
Do parasites have any benefit to humans?
Parasites can offer some benefits to humans. For example, early infections with parasites decrea...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?