What is amebiasis?

Amebiasis is a parasitic infection of the gastrointestinal tract caused by a protozoan organism called Entamoeba histolytica. It is common in the developing world. Amebiasis, like most parasitic gastrointestinal infections, is transmitted primarily through contaminated water by an oral-fecal route - meaning the organism is ingested orally, the parasitic infection occurs, and infective forms of the parasite are passed in the feces to continue the cycle in other hosts. Amebiasis can also be transmitted by direct contact. Amebiasis involves the colon, or large intestine, and can also affect distant organs such as the liver. Amebiasis is and has been a significant cause of dysentery.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
Is amebiasis serious?
Symptoms arising from parasitic gastrointestinal infection by Entamoeba histolytica can include abdo...
What is the brain-eating amoeba?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Naegleria fowlerii is an amoeba that lives in warm water, and has been found in the U.S. mostly in L...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?