What do I need to know about caring for someone with scabies?

If you care for someone with scabies, you must ensure that the person infected (and those in close contact) uses their medication. Itching might persist for weeks after; therefore caregivers can provide calamine lotion, antihistamines, and wet washcloths for relief. Most importantly, scabies is contagious so caregivers must ensure that the infection does not spread. If left untreated, scabies can develop into crusted scabies, a form that is much more difficult to cure.

Angela Lowery
Family Medicine
When caring for someone with scabies you will need to use precaution. Scabies is highly contagious. Instruct the person to use prescribed treatments directly as ordered. When caring linen to be washed wear gloves and avoid placing linen in direct contact with your skin. You should also vacuum your rugs, furniture, bedding, and car interior.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: Protecting Yourself From Rat Lungworm Disease
Rats have long been the vector for human disease—from the bubonic plague to leptospirosis—and in Hawaii today, they’re responsible for yet another inf...
What is a penis fish?
The penis fish, or candiru, is a member of the catfish family that lives in the Amazon River. It can...
What is the brain-eating amoeba?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Naegleria fowlerii is an amoeba that lives in warm water, and has been found in the U.S. mostly in L...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?