How does scabies affect the body?

The major symptom of scabies is severe itching. If left untreated, persistent scratching might break the skin and give way to another bacterial infection. If your immune system is weak, you may end up with crusted scabies, a severe infestation. It covers large areas of the skin and is very scaly. Treating this very contagious form of scabies takes longer than treating milder scabies.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: Protecting Yourself From Rat Lungworm Disease
Rats have long been the vector for human disease—from the bubonic plague to leptospirosis—and in Hawaii today, they’re responsible for yet another inf...
Are parasitic infections serious?
Parasitic infections are serious conditions that can have devastating effects on the body. Parasites...
What are parasitic infections?
When a parasite enters a person's body and begins to multiply, it is referred to as a parasitic infe...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?