How is parasitic gastrointestinal infection diagnosed?

The diagnosis of parasitic gastrointestinal infection is generally an uncomplicated process. Your doctor will likely interview you with regard to your symptoms and perform a physical examination. Further evaluation may include blood tests, imaging studies, endoscopic examination, and microscopic inspection and other testing of the stool. The diagnosis of parasitic gastrointestinal infection is based on clinical history and the presence of parasites in the stool.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What are the henipaviruses?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The henipaviruses – Hendra Virus (HeV) and Nipah Virus (NiV) – emerged during the 1990s in Australia...
What is a tapeworm?
Tapeworms are parasites, usually found in under-cooked beef or pork, sometimes in freshwater fish. I...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?