How do medications treat lymphatic filariasis?

Annual doses of the drug diethylcarbamazine (DEC) kills most, but not all, of the microscopic worms in the blood. A more effective approach is to combine two drugs, albendazole and DEC or albendazole and a drug called ivermectin. Given just once a year, the two-drug combination is 99 percent effective in removing worms from the blood. The treatment is most effective for people who are infected with the parasite but have no symptoms. People with lymphedema are helped by the drug but it does not relieve their symptoms.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: Protecting Yourself From Rat Lungworm Disease
Rats have long been the vector for human disease—from the bubonic plague to leptospirosis—and in Hawaii today, they’re responsible for yet another inf...
Do parasites have any benefit to humans?
Parasites can offer some benefits to humans. For example, early infections with parasites decrea...
What is the rate of incidence for parasitic infections?
There are millions of parasitic infections each year with the rate of incidence and type of infectio...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?