Scabies, caused by Sarcoptes scabiei, an itch mite, is contagious but can be cured. The medication for scabies may last for about two weeks. However, you might continue to experience severe itching (the main symptom of scabies) for about two to four weeks after the cure.
- Q Should I talk to my doctor about my parasitic skin infection symptoms?
- Q Is swimmer's itch a type of parasitic skin infection?
- Q What are the chances of recurrence for scabies?
- Q Can parasitic skin infections be prevented?
- Q How do medications treat parasitic skin infections?
- Q Should I tell my child's school about parasitic skin infection?