How is lymphatic filariasis diagnosed?

Lymphatic filariasis can be diagnosed by a blood test that looks for the parasitic worms. The worms are active in the body only at night, so the blood must be drawn late in evening to detect them. Because swelling from the infection can take years to develop, the blood test may be negative even though the person is infected. A new, more sensitive test, which uses only a finger prick to draw the blood and can be done at any time, has recently been developed. The test results are available at once without a laboratory. As it comes into widespread use, the new test will help medical workers make faster, more accurate diagnoses.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: Protecting Yourself From Rat Lungworm Disease
Rats have long been the vector for human disease—from the bubonic plague to leptospirosis—and in Hawaii today, they’re responsible for yet another inf...
How do medications treat flesh-eating bacteria?
Strong antibiotics are pumped into the veins of people who have flesh-eating bacteria. Working toget...
What are the henipaviruses?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The henipaviruses – Hendra Virus (HeV) and Nipah Virus (NiV) – emerged during the 1990s in Australia...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?