How do medications treat scabies?

Medication used for treatment of scabies includes permethrin (5 percent), lindane, crotamiton, and ivermectin. Permethrin is safe for children, pregnant and nursing women, and adults. After the first application, you should wait a week, then apply another treatment. It kills scabies with chemicals. Lindane can only be used with healthy adults and cannot be used with women who are pregnant or nursing or in children under the age of two; it works like permethrin. Crotamiton is applied for about 5 days, once a day. Ivermectin is administered orally for people with weak immune systems or those who don't respond to regular medication.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What is a penis fish?
The penis fish, or candiru, is a member of the catfish family that lives in the Amazon River. It can...
What is the brain-eating amoeba?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Naegleria fowlerii is an amoeba that lives in warm water, and has been found in the U.S. mostly in L...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?