Does parasitic intestinal infection require a doctor's care?

Symptoms of parasitic gastrointestinal infection should be discussed with your doctor immediately. Your doctor will likely interview you with regard to your symptoms and perform a physical examination. Sometimes, further testing may be necessary in order to fully characterize the cause of your symptoms. Should you be found to have a parasitic gastrointestinal infection, prescription medication will likely be utilized to treat the infection. Untreated, these infections can be dangerous and even deadly.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: Protecting Yourself From Rat Lungworm Disease
Rats have long been the vector for human disease—from the bubonic plague to leptospirosis—and in Hawaii today, they’re responsible for yet another inf...
What is the brain-eating amoeba?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Naegleria fowlerii is an amoeba that lives in warm water, and has been found in the U.S. mostly in L...
What are the different types of parasites?
There are three types of parasites that feast on humans: Protozoa - one-celled organisms that li...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?