Are there possible complications from Chagas disease?

Yes, there can be complications from Chagas disease. The more serious complications are heart disease or heart failure. You may also develop cardiomyopathy. Other complications of Chagas disease may include enlargement of the colon or difficulty swallowing because of enlargement of the esophagus. Both of these complications can lead to malnourishment.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What are the different types of parasites?
There are three types of parasites that feast on humans: Protozoa - one-celled organisms that li...
What is the brain-eating amoeba?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Naegleria fowlerii is an amoeba that lives in warm water, and has been found in the U.S. mostly in L...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?