Are all parasitic "worms" the same?

One of the two general divisions of parasitic gastrointestinal infection is helminthic infection. A helminth is defined as a parasitic worm - complex, multi-cellular organisms with internal organs. There are a variety of classes of disease-causing helminths, including roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, heartworms, whipworms, flukes. There are multiple species within these classes and wide variability between them in terms of geographical prevalence, life cycle, seriousness of disease, etc.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
How do medications treat flesh-eating bacteria?
Strong antibiotics are pumped into the veins of people who have flesh-eating bacteria. Working toget...
What is a penis fish?
The penis fish, or candiru, is a member of the catfish family that lives in the Amazon River. It can...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?