Should I talk to my doctor about paranoid schizophrenia symptoms?

Paranoid schizophrenia is a serious disorder that may result in your hurting yourself or others. However, most people with paranoid schizophrenia don't think they have a serious disease. In fact, people with paranoid schizophrenia often think that they don't have any problems at all. For this reason, it's important that friends or loved ones of individuals who may have paranoid schizophrenia encourage them to get medical help as soon as possible.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you think you may have the type of schizophrenia known as paranoid schizophrenia, you should ask your doctor about your symptoms. Symptoms of this type of schizophrenia include hallucinations, delusions, and being suspicious of everyone around you. You may believe that a family member, a neighbor, or even a perfect stranger is plotting to harm or kill you. These kinds of beliefs are called delusions of persecution. Having such thoughts or beliefs does not prove that you have schizophrenia, but if they are concerning to you, ask your doctor about them. He or she will probably ask you more questions and may refer you to a mental health professional for a more in-depth interview.

Continue Learning about Paranoid Schizophrenia

How is paranoid schizophrenia diagnosed?
Doctors must run several tests and exams - both physical and mental - in order to diagnose paranoid ...
Is paranoid schizophrenia serious?
Paranoid schizophrenia is a serious disease because it alters a person's perception of reality. Indi...
Does paranoid schizophrenia affect children differently than adults?
Generally, paranoid schizophrenia does not affect children. Typically, doctors diagnose the disorder...
What should I know to care for someone with paranoid schizophrenia?
Caring for someone with paranoid schizophrenia means sometimes making decisions for them. People wit...