When should I call my doctor if I have pancreatitis?

If you have pancreatitis, you should call your doctor if you have new or worsening symptoms of the condition. Pancreatitis is swelling of the pancreas, a gland located behind the stomach that produces enzymes to aid in digestion and secretes the hormone insulin to help maintain normal blood sugar levels.

Call your doctor immediately if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms.
  • severe pain not relieved by over-the-counter painkillers
  • nausea or vomiting
  • breathing problems
  • very fast heartbeat
  • fever
  • chills
  • feeling faint or weak
  • fatigue
  • unexplained weight loss
  • yellow color to your skin and the whites of your eyes (jaundice)
  • greasy, foul-smelling stool
  • confusion, agitation, lack of consciousness
You should also call your doctor if you have questions about your treatment or you are considering trying a new over-the-counter medicine or herbal remedy. Your doctor may also be able to help you if you are experiencing trouble quitting smoking, losing weight, eating a healthy diet or achieving any of the lifestyle changes recommended for helping to manage pancreatitis.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

Should I talk to my doctor about my pancreatitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about pancreatitis symptoms like severe abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, de...
How do other illnesses affect chronic pancreatitis?
The most common diseases that can cause chronic pancreatitis are alcoholism and gallbladder disease....
What are possible complications of pancreatitis?
Complications resulting from pancreatitis can be numerous. Diabetes may develop from pancreatitis be...
What is a glucagonoma?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
About 5-10% of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors are glucagonomas, tumors that produce an inappropria...