What are the treatment options for chronic pancreatitis?

Treatment for chronic pancreatitis usually requires hospitalization. In order to let the pancreas rest, the individual will not be able to eat or drink and will probably be given fluids, pain medication, and nutrition through a vein, or IV. As the inflammation subsides, clear liquids and bland foods may be eaten. The doctor will try to determine the cause of the chronic pancreatitis. Surgery to open a closed bile duct, to remove dead tissue, to remove the gallbladder, or to drain fluid from the pancreas, may be performed. For those who abuse alcohol, treatment for alcohol addiction will be recommended. To help aid further recovery, stop smoking, eat a low-fat diet, and make sure to drink plenty of water.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

Can pancreatitis cause diabetes?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
If you have chronic pancreatitis, it can have a major impact on diabetes management as well as your ...
How long will pancreatitis last?
Mild cases of acute pancreatitis may resolve on its own without treatment after a few days of discom...
Should I talk to my doctor about my pancreatitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about pancreatitis symptoms like severe abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, de...
What is pancreatitis?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. It may be caused by a number of factors, including ...