Is acute pancreatitis serious?

A mild case of acute pancreatitis has a death rate of less than five percent, but in a serious case, it can be as high as fifty percent. It is considered a serious, life-threatening condition and requires hospitalization. Parts of the pancreas and other organs can be damaged by the condition. Individuals with acute pancreatitis are at greater risk from an infection. Other complications are diabetes, problems breathing, kidney failure, cancer of the pancreas, and poor nutrition.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

What is acute pancreatitis?
Acute pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that occurs abruptly. It is usually caused by gal...
What is chronic pancreatitis?
Chronic pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that lasts for a long period of time, causing i...
Should I talk to my doctor about my pancreatitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about pancreatitis symptoms like severe abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, de...
How do other illnesses affect acute pancreatitis?
Other conditions raise an individual's risk of having acute pancreatitis. These includehigh blood le...