How do other illnesses affect me when I have pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis can affect your body's predisposition to developing other illnesses. Diabetes may develop from pancreatitis because the digestive enzymes that build up in the pancreas can harm the insulin-producing cells that help your body process sugar. Pancreatitis can also increase your likelihood of developing pancreatic cancer if there is unrelieved inflammation of the tissue and cells in the pancreas.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

What is the rate of incidence for pancreatitis?
The rate of incidence for pancreatitis each year in the United States is over 300,000 people. Roughl...
Is pancreatitis serious?
Pancreatitis can be serious and often requires hospitalization, sometimes even surgery. Acute and ch...
Is there a cure for pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis may be cured if it is acute. With acute pancreatitis, your pancreas may suffer minor ti...
What is a glucagonoma?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
About 5-10% of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors are glucagonomas, tumors that produce an inappropria...