How does pancreatectomy treat chronic pancreatitis?

The singular goal of total pancreatectomy (removal of the pancreas) for patients with chronic pancreatitis is to relieve pain.

Because the pancreas produces digestive enzymes and hormones including insulin, this surgery is reserved only for those in whom pain is so severe and unremitting that it has led to dependence on narcotic medications. After pancreatectomy, pain is relieved in 93% of cases, but the absence of insulin production leaves patients diabetic requiring insulin.

Continue Learning about Pancreatitis

Can pancreatitis cause diabetes?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
If you have chronic pancreatitis, it can have a major impact on diabetes management as well as your ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my pancreatitis symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about pancreatitis symptoms like severe abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, de...
What is my life expectancy with pancreatitis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Life expectancy with chronic pancreatitis may be lower than for people without the condition; resear...
How common is chronic pancreatitis?
Chronic pancreatitis occurs between 1.6 and 23 cases per 100,000 individuals throughout the world. I...