Why is pancreatic cancer called a silent disease?

John A. Chabot
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Pancreatic cancer is known as a "silent disease" because identifiable symptoms are not usually present in the early stages of the disease. Many symptoms of pancreatic cancer are mild at first, so patients often ignore them. Due in large part to the position of the pancreas deep in the abdomen, a pancreatic tumor can grow for years before causing pressure, pain, or other signs of illness. This can make it difficult for a patient or doctor to recognize a problem.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer

Why Is Pancreatic Cancer So Deadly?
Why Is Pancreatic Cancer So Deadly?
Pancreatic cancers, which arise in the pear-shaped gland behind the stomach, are rarely detected early, difficult to treat and often come back. Some 5...
Is there a tumor marker for pancreatic cancer?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
Yes, for pancreatic adenocarcinoma a typical tumor marker is CA 19-9 and for neuroendocrine tumors i...
What are my chances of survival from pancreatic cancer?
Oak Hill HospitalOak Hill Hospital
Pancreatic cancer has a high mortality rate so the outcomes aren't very good for someone diagnosed w...
How can I reduce my risk of pancreatic cancer?
Dr. Kathleen Wolin, ScDDr. Kathleen Wolin, ScD
To reduce your risk of pancreatic cancer, you want to maintain a healthy weight, as well as a health...