What is the benefit of central pancreatectomy?

The benefit of a central pancreatectomy is that it leaves the patient with a highly functional pancreatic head and tail with exocrine and endocrine functions intact, usually decreasing the chance of developing insulin-dependent diabetes.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

How will I know if my pancreatic cancer can be removed?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
The surgical classification method classifies tumors based on whether or not the tumor can be su...
Are there alternative treatments for pancreatic cancer?
Although alternative treatment options for cancer seem numerous, judging from advertisements on tele...
What are the types of Whipple procedures for pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
There are two common types of Whipple procedures - the conventional Whipple and the pylorus-sparing ...
What are the treatment options for stage 1 pancreatic cancer?
The treatments for pancreatic cancer include those that remove the cancer, those that prevent the ca...