How is laparoscopy used to treat pancreatic cancer?

The minimally invasive surgical techniques of laparoscopy are normally used directly before a scheduled pancreatic resection to determine if a more invasive operation is the best course of action. Since metastases can sometimes be missed on CT, MRI or other imaging studies, laparoscopy is a reliable way to check for metastasis to other organs. If metastases are found and the surgeon decides an operation is not the best course of action, then the patient will have a shorter recovery time compared to that of a major surgery and will be in better shape to receive alternate forms of treatment.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

Is there a cure for pancreatic cancer?
If pancreatic cancer is diagnosed early enough that it can be removed through surgery, chances of el...
How will I know what type of surgery is right for my pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
The type of surgery performed depends mostly on the location of the tumor in your pancreas. Your...
How does radiation treat pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Like chemotherapy, radiation therapy is sometimes used before surgery, after surgery, or both. W...
Do all intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs) require surgery?
NorthShore University HealthSystemNorthShore University HealthSystem
The reality is that not all intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms, or IPNMs, are the same, an...