Is surgery viable for people with advanced pancreatic cancer?

You can take people with stage IV colorectal cancer in their liver, which they’re told it's inoperable, and you give them chemotherapy for several months, and they get such a tremendous, remarkable response that you’d actually consider taking out part of their liver or part of their colon tumor.

That type of surgery is unheard of in pancreatic cancer. But have I ever re-operated on a patient for pancreatic cancer? I’ve done that, but only on a handful of people.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

How successful are treatments for pancreatic cancer?
Yanghee Woo, MDYanghee Woo, MD
Unlike some other forms of cancer, pancreatic cancer is often detected only in advanced stages, maki...
How do medications treat stage 4 pancreatic cancer?
A number of different drugs may be used to treat stage 4 pancreatic cancer to keep the cancer from a...
How long will it take to recover from pancreatic surgery?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
As with all major operations, recovering from a pancreatic surgery takes time. Full recovery req...
How is ascites with pancreatic cancer treated?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Ascites may cause significant pain and difficulty breathing. If you suffer from ascites, your do...