What can I expect after pancreatic surgery?

After pancreatic surgery, it is normal to have difficulty eating or to experience symptoms of nausea, vomiting or heartburn. These symptoms are caused by a condition known as "gastric ileus," or temporary paralysis of the stomach. After several weeks, your digestive system should return to "normal."

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

When can begin normal eating after pancreatic surgery?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
There is no way to predict how quickly your stomach will regain full function, and patients must...
What are the treatment options for stage 1 pancreatic cancer?
The treatments for pancreatic cancer include those that remove the cancer, those that prevent the ca...
How do medications treat stage 0 pancreatic cancer?
Although surgery is the most successful treatment of stage 0 pancreatic cancer, it may not be possib...
How do I care for someone with stage 2 pancreatic cancer?
If someone in your care has stage 2 pancreatic cancer, you need to make sure that he or she follows ...