Do all intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs) require surgery?

The reality is that not all intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms, or IPNMs, are the same, and they don’t all harbor the same risk. When you talk about risk, pancreatic cancer surgery is safer than it has ever been, but it’s still a tough operation. It’s still an operation that if you don’t need it, you don’t want it. But if you need it, you want to have it done early and selectively.

We now categorize IPNMs. If the neoplasms are coming off the side branches of the pancreatic duct instead of the main duct -- think of it like a tree trunk; you have your normal tree trunk and you have these little branches coming off of it -- and if it’s just isolated to the side branches, then your chance of getting pancreatic cancer is very low, probably less than 1 percent per year for the rest of your lifetime.

We put those people into what we call an active surveillance program. I like to say active surveillance rather than observation because people say, “Doc, aren’t you going to operate on me? You’re going to observe me, you’re going to do nothing?” No, we’re going to actively follow you. And we’ll get an MRI on those people once a year, maybe sometimes once every other year.

If the cancer, or the neoplasm, involves the main duct, the main trunk of the tree, then we know those people have a much higher risk for malignancy. If we can isolate the cancer in one part of the pancreas, the left side or the right side, those are the people we’re going to operate on.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

How does surgical bypass treat pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
In situations where a blockage cannot be opened with a stent, a surgeon can perform a bypass pro...
How do medications treat stage 0 pancreatic cancer?
Although surgery is the most successful treatment of stage 0 pancreatic cancer, it may not be possib...
What foods should I avoid after pancreatic surgery?
Dr. John A. ChabotDr. John A. Chabot
Foods to avoid soon after a pancreatic resection include:Fibrous meats: beef, pork, lamb, vealRaw ...
When can begin normal eating after pancreatic surgery?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
There is no way to predict how quickly your stomach will regain full function, and patients must...