What is distal pancreatectomy for pancreatic cancer?

In a distal pancreatectomy, the tail and body of the pancreas are removed and the head of the pancreas is preserved. Since the spleen is so close to the tail of the pancreas, sometimes the spleen is also removed during the procedure.

A typical distal pancreatectomy procedure requires about 2 to 4 hours, depending on the exact location and pathology of the tumor.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

How do medications treat pancreatic cancer?
A number of different drugs may be used to treat pancreatic cancer to keep the cancer from advancing...
How do I choose a surgeon for pancreatic cancer treatment?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
While there have been significant improvements in pancreatic operations, these procedures remain com...
Are there alternative treatments for pancreatic cancer?
Although alternative treatment options for cancer seem numerous, judging from advertisements on tele...
How will I know if my pancreatic cancer can be removed?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
The surgical classification method classifies tumors based on whether or not the tumor can be su...